Let me just start off by saying, this is not going to be my typical Book of the Week article. I really just feel like doing a little sharing from my heart this week in regards to this book.
When I started preparing for this week, I wanted to make it all about moms since Mother’s Day is coming up on Sunday. Therefore, I thought it fitting to do a book review of a mommy book.
However, honestly, I don’t generally read a lot of books that are considered advice or help books. When I need encouragement or help, I usually go straight to the Bible. I felt though that I should find something different for this week, so I began to research books for encouraging moms on their journeys through motherhood.
Since I’m not really used to looking for this type of book, I felt a little overwhelmed and had trouble picking one amongst all the choices available. Finally after prayer, (yes, I prayed for the Lord to lead me to the right book) I found Mom…and loving it! After reading the book description and a couple of the reviews, I knew at that moment it was the right choice.
What does this book have to offer?
Mom…and loving it! is all about finding contentment in REAL life. Even as I write this article, I still have not quite finished the book because I find myself wanting and needing to take my time with each chapter to let the encouraging words and suggestions sink in.
The authors of this book are two sisters who have six kids between them. They start out by each one telling her story of what she thought motherhood was going to be like, before actually becoming a mother, and then how that fantasy ended with sleepless nights, discouragements and even guilt - things all of us moms go through at times.
I have cried and laughed while reading this book. It is very easy to read and yet has already enormously impacted my life and how I see myself as a mom and wife. What I think is great about this book is how these women share their own real life experiences and provide input from other mothers who have all dealt with some of these same issues.
Sometimes we just need to know we’re not alone in our feelings and circumstances.
Here are just a few of the topics that are covered in this book:
- Why Do I Feel So Guilty? (Three Guilt Grenades Common to Moms)
- Angry…and Hating It! (Dealing With Angry Outbursts)
- Being Content With Who You Are (Comparing: The Seed of Discontentment)
- Married…and Loving It? (Finding Real Contentment in Marriage)
- Being Content With Your Kids (Just the Way They Are!)
- Being Content With Life (When It Doesn’t Make Sense)
- The Gray-Haired Angels (Their Secret to Becoming a Mom and Loving It!)
I have, as a mom, struggled with some of these issues myself. Like so many other moms, I want to be Supermom with a spotless house, a well-fed family and plenty of time to spend with my family also. Unfortunately, I’m not all that. I’m still just learning to be the best that I can be for my family and myself. This is one reason Mom…and loving it! really hit home with me.
Along with very practical, as well as Biblical, advice and encouragement, the authors have included questions at the end of each section that really help you consider the information you’ve read and plans of action to help you apply it to your everyday life.
I think every mom should get a copy of this book and read it. It is written from a Biblical standpoint; however, it’s not at all preachy. It’s just full of plain ole’ mom to mom helpful advice and inspiration. I definitely suggest this book for any mother. We can all use a little help and encouragement from time to time on this journey we call motherhood.
- Mommy’s Idea Book: From My Family to Yours Welcome to Mommy's Idea Book! I've learned many things the last few years about juggling the rolls of a wife,...
- Sophie’s Heart by Lori Wick Sophie's Heart is a touching story about the life of a young lady who leaves her only living relative, her...
- I’m Making a Few Adjustments Today, I wanted to take a little time to let you know what you can expect from Mommy's Idea Book...
Interested in advertising on Mommys Idea Book?
Join with other subscribers to receive Mommy's Idea Book updates. Subscribe either by RSS or get updates via email by using the form below.
FOOD AND ENTERTAINING
HOME AND ORGANIZATION