The first time I made this oatmeal, my seven year old informed me, before trying it, that he didn’t like oatmeal. He was quite certain this baked version would be no exception.
Any guesses as to what happened next?
One serving down…
Two servings down…
Then…”Mom, can I have some of that oatmeal for lunch, too?”
Amazing how his opinion changed so quickly, huh? It’s funny. My son can be my biggest fan when he loves a new recipe and my worst critic when he doesn’t.
Oh…and for the record, I didn’t let him have oatmeal for lunch, too.
Baked Raisin Pecan Oatmeal
- 2 cups Old Fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup raw sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir well.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8 inch casserole dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
Yield : 4 - 6 Servings
To make this easier to put together in the morning, I mix up all my dry ingredients the night before and leave the bowl sitting on the counter.
That way in the morning while my oven is preheating (and I’m still trying to wake up), I can throw the wet ingredients together quickly and be ready to bake the dish.
How do you think your kids would react if you presented this to them for breakfast?
Recipe adapted from MyRecipes’ Baked Oatmeal.
KEEP UP WITH MOMMYSIDEABOOK...
You should subscribe to my RSS feed to read updates in your favorite rss reader.
- No Bake Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies Today, I've got a quick and easy cookie recipe for all you chocolate lovers out there. Okay, I admit they...
- Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cookies Oatmeal cookies are a family favorite around here. They taste good and I like the fact that the oats are...
- Making Pumpkin Pie with Fresh Pumpkin Last week the smell of fresh pumpkin pie filled our house as it baked. My daughter was thrilled that I...
Interested in advertising on Mommys Idea Book?
Join with other subscribers to receive Mommy's Idea Book updates. Subscribe either by RSS or get updates via email by using the form below.
FOOD AND ENTERTAINING
HOME AND ORGANIZATION