A little over a year ago, my wonderful neighbor brought my husband and I a delicious roasted chicken with vegetables. I’m talking about a flavorful fall-off-the-bone roasted chicken.
I was certain it must have taken her half a day to prepare and then another half a day to cook. However, when I asked her about it, she provided me with the recipe and my mouth dropped at the simplicity of it.
Since I know most of you are moms looking for easy recipes that involve little prep, I thought you might like the recipe for yourselves.
- 4 Carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 - 4 Red Potatoes, quartered
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 Can Tomatoes
- 4 - 5 Corn on the Cob Halves
- Garlic Salt
- Whole Chicken (4-5 lbs)
- Water to cover Veggies
- Place veggies in the bottom of large roaster pan or Dutch oven.
- Sprinkle garlic salt liberally on vegetables.
- Season chicken well with garlic salt and place on top of vegetables.
- Add enough water just to cover the vegetables.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 3 hours.
Serves 4 - 6.
You can use a Dutch oven or a large roaster pan. I love my Dutch oven because it seems to cook more evenly and everything just seems to have a better flavor. I’m not sure why, but it just does.
The downside to the Dutch oven is it’s pretty expensive to buy if you’re not going to be using it on a regular basis. In this case, a regular roasting pan will work just fine.
The main thing is to make sure your pan is large enough to hold a four to five pound whole chicken and your vegetables.
Note: I haven’t tried it yet, but my neighbor said Brussels sprouts are really good in place of one of the other veggies. They just have to be put in about 20 minutes before the end of cooking time to keep them from getting overcooked and falling apart.
KEEP UP WITH MOMMYSIDEABOOK...
You should subscribe to my RSS feed to read updates in your favorite rss reader.
- Cheesy Chicken & Vegetable Bake Has this ever happened to you? You buy fresh produce for the recipes you've chosen to cook. Then, after cooking...
- Chicken Fajitas After realizing at the last minute I didn't have any fajita seasoning, I came up with this recipe. This turned...
- Clam Chowder Ingredients 2 tbsp. butter or margarine 1 cup chopped onion 1/2 cup chopped leeks 1/2 cup chopped celery 3 cups...
Interested in advertising on Mommys Idea Book?
Join with other subscribers to receive Mommy's Idea Book updates. Subscribe either by RSS or get updates via email by using the form below.
FOOD AND ENTERTAINING
HOME AND ORGANIZATION