My freezer almost always contains at least a couple frozen dishes of some kind. I like to freeze prepared, but uncooked, casseroles, lasagnas and enchiladas. It’s always nice to be able to get these out and cook them on days I’m tired or just don’t have the time to cook them completely from start to finish.
You might be asking how this could get any simpler.
Well, if you’re like I used to be, you still have to go pull out the cookbook or look up the recipe on the computer to see what temperature to set the oven to and how long to cook the casserole and so forth.
Thanks to my mother-in-law, I no longer have to take the time to look this information up again just to cook the casserole. She does a lot of cooking for the holidays, and I noticed that the dishes she took out of the freezer had little sticky notes attached to the tops of the covers.
I asked her what the little notes were and she told me it was any information she needed to finish cooking the casseroles. What a great idea! No need to drag out the cookbook again.
So now when I put a casserole in the freezer, I make sure the following information is attached to the top:
- the name of the dish (obviously)
- the date I prepared it
- the temperature for baking
- the length of time to cook
- whether it should be covered or uncovered while cooking (may be both - be sure to document)
- any other special cooking or serving instructions
As with my mother-in-law, this is a must for times when you are feeding a crowd and have prepared and frozen several dishes ahead of time.
In my case, I’m usually cooking these dishes on days I’m already short on time, so this just makes things a little faster.
Just give it try. I think you’ll like it too.
Do you label your dishes before freezing them? Are there any hints you can share for freezing casseroles?
This post is linked to We Are THAT Family for Works for Me Wednesday.
KEEP UP WITH MOMMYSIDEABOOK...
You should subscribe to my RSS feed to read updates in your favorite rss reader.
- Delicious Out of the Freezer Dishes You know you're going to have a long busy day tomorrow and the last thing you're going to want is...
- Simple Solutions: Taking Notes Do you ever get ideas or thoughts you don't want to forget at times when you are least likely to...
- Simple Solutions: Keeping Track of Your Books Have you ever loaned a book to someone, never got it back, and couldn't remember who last borrowed it? Well,...
Interested in advertising on Mommys Idea Book?
Join with other subscribers to receive Mommy's Idea Book updates. Subscribe either by RSS or get updates via email by using the form below.
FOOD AND ENTERTAINING
HOME AND ORGANIZATION