Question of the Day:
What do you do when you find a big bag of potatoes on sale?
You grab a bag (and pay for it, of course) and make an easy, cheesy potato soup.
I admit I’ve had a few failed attempts at making potato soup using various recipes. They always turned out bland, and we don’t do bland soup around here. Since I don’t like a recipe getting the best of me, I had to work on the ingredients a bit to satisfy our taste buds.
Thankfully, I finally figured out the right combination of ingredients to turn this cheesy potato soup into a delicious and comforting meal.
And to make it even better, it cooks in the slow cooker. How I love my slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups water
- 5 – 6 large potatoes, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon and onion in a skillet over medium heat until onions are soft and bacon is beginning to crisp; drain.
- Place bacon and onion in slow cooker.
- Stir in chicken broth, cream of chicken, water, potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cook on high 1 hour.
- Reduce to low and cook 4 – 5 hours.
- Whisk together flour and half-and-half in a small bowl.
- Add half-and-half mixture, milk and cheese to slow cooker.
- Cook 30 more minutes.
- Serve with additional cheese and fresh baked bread.
Serves 6 – 8
For me, soups like this are especially wonderful on cool evenings. They warm me from the inside out
What soups or stews tend to warm and comfort you this time of year?
KEEP UP WITH MOMMYSIDEABOOK...
You should subscribe to my RSS feed to read updates in your favorite rss reader.
Interested in advertising on Mommys Idea Book?
Join with other subscribers to receive Mommy's Idea Book updates. Subscribe either by RSS or get updates via email by using the form below.
FOOD AND ENTERTAINING
HOME AND ORGANIZATION