Yesterday, in my post On a Mission to Healthier Eating, I promised to share the recipe for an awesome whole wheat muffin recipe I came up with and the way I’ve made it more of a convenience food for me. So, if your ready for it, just keep reading.
Whole Wheat Honey Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil*
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce*
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup water
*(NOTE: I now replace the 1/4 cup vegetable oil and 1/4 cup applesauce with 1/2 cup coconut oil. Coconut oil is a healthier oil than vegetable oil, and I like the light coconut flavor it adds to the muffins. The muffins are also more fluffy without the applesauce.)
- Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl and then mix well with dry ingredients.
- Pour into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake at 375 for 20 to 24 minutes.
Yields: 12 muffins
The reason I called this awesome is because it’s not only healthy, but everyone in the family thought these muffins were delicious. My two year old rarely eats a whole muffin, but she gobbled this one up quickly.
How I’m Making Homemade More Convenient
Since I like to have some convenience foods on hand, like store bought mixes, I decided to make up my own. I simply mixed up a few batches of muffin mix, only the dry ingredients of course, and put them in individual zipper bags.
On the outside of the bag I listed the wet ingredients that would need to be added to the mix and the baking instructions. This way I’ve created my own little convenience food for those days I don’t want to or don’t have time to fix the muffins totally from scratch.
Another idea for storing your mixes would be putting them in plastic containers and then using labels containing the recipe information on the outside of the container. I may try this next time because those zipper bags can get pretty expensive.
Well, this is the beginning of our journey to eating healthier and I can use all the help I can get. That being said, if you have any advice or suggestions to help us along the way, please let me know by leaving a comment.
Also if you know of any really good healthy websites, or if you’ve got any great recipes, I’d love for you to share those with me.
Do you find cooking healthy challenging or is it just a way of life for you?
KEEP UP WITH MOMMYSIDEABOOK...
You should subscribe to my RSS feed to read updates in your favorite rss reader.
- Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins A few weeks ago I tried a Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffin recipe I found on another website. All I can...
- Banana Nut Muffins with Streusel Topping As far as I’m concerned, mushy bananas are not very appetizing unless they’re baked into a bread of some sort....
- White Whole Wheat vs Regular Whole Wheat Flour We've been eating mostly whole wheat breads for a while now, and we enjoy most of them, but whole wheat...
Interested in advertising on Mommys Idea Book?
Join with other subscribers to receive Mommy's Idea Book updates. Subscribe either by RSS or get updates via email by using the form below.
FOOD AND ENTERTAINING
HOME AND ORGANIZATION