Before I quit my job to stay home, I heard other stay-at-home moms talk about how much busier they were at home than they were when they worked. Of course, being the intelligent individual that I am, I concluded that it simply was not possible.
I mean, you still have to do that same things you always had to do around the house and for your family, but without working on top of it. How could one possibly quit work and be busier?
Fast forward about 3 1/2 years….
I laugh at myself for thinking I actually made an intelligent assumption. My now super-busy life causes me to ponder the question…“Why do I feel so much busier than I did when I had a full time job?”
Well, I do have one more child than I did when I was working, but there is more to it than that. I’ve determined the reasons why I think I end up being loaded down with too much.
- I feel I can’t say no to others because I don’t work.
- I feel expected to do more because I don’t work.
- I want to do more because I don’t work.
….and so I sometimes end up doing and committing to do way more than I should.
By the time I do a little of all these things, I’m swamped. The truth is, just taking care of my family and home all day really is a full time job.
Lately, I’ve realized that the only way to keep from feeling overwhelmed is to find proper balance. But how?
Well the way I see it, pretty much everything in my life can be grouped into three categories.
- Things I have to do - spend time with God, spend time with family, cook, wash clothes, pay the bills, etc…
- Things I should do - clean house, exercise, spend time with friends, help others, etc…
- Things I want to do - read, blog/internet, watch tv, shop, etc…
What did I get from my list?
Priorities. Plain and simple.
I think it’s important to see on paper what category the things in my life fall into. It helps me determine how much time I should be spending in each area and what I should focus on most.
Now, I’m working on a plan to do the things I have to do first and fill in the blanks with the other things. I already feel more organized and relieved just knowing I’m going in the right direction.
What do you think? How do you find balance in your life? If you work outside the home, how is your balance?
KEEP UP WITH MOMMYSIDEABOOK...
You should subscribe to my RSS feed to read updates in your favorite rss reader.
- Sunday Devotion: Priorities - Where Does Your Family Rank? Although, this verse is about Mary spending time with Jesus while Martha was cleaning and cooking, we can very much...
- Life Without MY Computer Until the last few days, I didn't really realize just how much I depend on my computer. You see, last...
- My Entrance into the World of Stay at Home Moms Since I am going to be doing an awful lot of writing about a lot of issues concerning stay at...
Interested in advertising on Mommys Idea Book?
Join with other subscribers to receive Mommy's Idea Book updates. Subscribe either by RSS or get updates via email by using the form below.
FOOD AND ENTERTAINING
HOME AND ORGANIZATION