Have you ever really thought about how our children can teach us about life? Okay, you may be tempted to dismiss such a crazy idea at first. After all, kids have very little experience in life, so what can they possibly teach us that we don’t already know?
Well, truthfully, it’s not necessarily stuff that we don’t already know, so much as it’s things we have either forgotten, due to our life experiences, or we simply take them for granted.
As I began to watch my children and think about how they have changed my perspective on life, I realized a few things I should remember on a regular basis.
Keep in mind some them are a little funny and some are more serious. So, here we go - lessons you can learn from kids.
- Always say nice things about others - You know as soon you say something about that hideous dress Aunt Sally wore to the Christmas get together, everybody in town is going to find out what you said, including Aunt Sally. Kids simply don’t know how to use discretion regarding what they say. You’ve heard that old saying, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” Well, this is just another good example of why you should take that old saying seriously.
- Lots of stuff doesn’t make one happy or content - Kids these days, have tons of games, toys, movies and other stuff. Yet, how many times do you hear them still complain, “I’m bored.” It’s not the toys and things that make them happy. Now take a minute and think about how many times you’ve heard this statement while you were playing with them and spending quality time with them - probably never. What truly makes us happy is being loved and being with those we love.
- Life flies by quickly - If you don’t think life will be over in the blink of an eye, just take a look at your kids. Doesn’t it just seem like yesterday when you held your newborn for the first time. Having kids really brings to reality just how fast time really does vanish before our eyes.
- You need more exercise - Wow, kids sure do have a lot of energy. Could it have been possible that you had that much energy when you were a kid? Chasing them around every day sure lets you know you aren’t in as good of shape as you once were or wish you were.
- True love is unconditional - Your kids never knew you before pregnancy left stretch marks or maybe a few extra pounds. They may have never seen you without a few gray strands of hair or fine lines and wrinkles. Do they care? No. They love you because you are their mom and because you’ve always been there for them when they needed you.
Can you relate to any of the above statements? What lessons have you learned from your kids?
KEEP UP WITH MOMMYSIDEABOOK...
You should subscribe to my RSS feed to read updates in your favorite rss reader.
- Provoke Your Kids - To Laughter "Laughter is an instant vacation." -- Milton Berle Can you imagine a world without laughter? Boy, what a boring...
- No! Because I said so… How many times have you heard yourself make this statement to your kids? Was this also something you heard often...
- Kids in the Kitchen: 11 Tips for Cooking with Kids Yesterday, I told you about the Kids Cooking: A Very Slightly Messy Manual cookbook I found for cooking with my...
Interested in advertising on Mommys Idea Book?
Join with other subscribers to receive Mommy's Idea Book updates. Subscribe either by RSS or get updates via email by using the form below.
FOOD AND ENTERTAINING
HOME AND ORGANIZATION