It’s that time of year again when we start taking family trips. One major challenge though when it comes to driving long distances is keeping the kids entertained in the back seat.
We live several hours away from our family, so we end up spending quite a bit of time on the road when we go for a visit. Therefore, we’re always looking for new games and ideas to keep the kids from getting bored out of their minds.
I thought I’d share a few of the fun activities and games we’ve learned along the way.
- Sing-A-longs – Take a few fun CD’s to listen to and sing along with. People probably think we’re crazy sometimes, because we really get into singing and even a little dancing in the car.
- Scavenger Hunt/Car Bingo – Give each child a list of items to watch for while driving. You can also use car bingo cards to make it a little more exciting and challenging.
- “I’m Goin’ On a Trip” – Start this game out by saying, “I’m going on a trip and I’m bringing…” . The first person should name an item that starts with the letter “A”. After “A” , the next player will say the same thing but with the letter “B”, and so on. Since our kids are so young, we usually don’t do the letters. We just tell whatever we’re going to take.
- License Plate Game – In this game, you see how many different state license plates you can find.
- Books – This is still a favorite pass-time. I always take along a book for myself and a few books the kids like also. Another idea is to get a few read along CD and book sets for the kids.
- Electronic Games – My son loves to take his Leapster. You’ll probably want to get a headset or the repetition of the sounds may drive you up the wall. I like the games that come with the Leapster because they are educational and my son has learned a lot from playing them. Be sure to take extra batteries too.
- Counting Games – The object of this game is to count how many of any particular thing you see. For example, how many red cars, buses or billboards do you see?
- Alphabet Game – Find words beginning with “A”, on signs around you. Have the players take turns, after “A”, go to “B”, and so on. See if you an get to the end of the alphabet. This one gets really interesting when you get to the letter X.
- Videos – If you are fortunate enough to have a DVD player in the car (I’m not), choose a few movies or kid friendly shows to watch. A two hour movie will pass a whole lot of time away.
- Drawing boards – Magna doodle, Etcha Sketch, or a dry erase/chalk board are all great for writing, drawing and exploring their creative side.
- Tell Jokes – My husband is good at this one. I’m not so good. We’ve had tons of laughs over his jokes. So, if you’re good at it, give it a whirl. If not, stick to some of the above ideas. 😉
If you’re going on a trip soon, try out a few of these ideas and see what you think. The purpose of this article was to provide ways to keep kids entertained while on a long trip. Well, I have a little secret. A lot of these ideas will be fun for you too, or at least they are for me.
Do you have to take long road trips often? How do you keep the little ones, and yourself, entertained for the journey?
This post is linked to Works for Me Wednesday.
KEEP UP WITH MOMMYSIDEABOOK...
You should subscribe to my RSS feed to read updates in your favorite rss reader.
Interested in advertising on Mommys Idea Book?
Join with other subscribers to receive Mommy's Idea Book updates. Subscribe either by RSS or get updates via email by using the form below.
FOOD AND ENTERTAINING
HOME AND ORGANIZATION