Fun Ways to Teach Kids the True Meaning of Easter

66  430x resurrection cookie1 Fun Ways to Teach Kids the True Meaning of Easter
Photo By Amanda

Last week, I wrote an article on giving our children Easter baskets with your own personal touch. However, as fun as it is to put together the goodies and gifts for our children, we must never forget to include the greatest gift of all, Jesus and what he did for us on the cross.

Easter is not about bunnies, baskets, treats or egg hunts. It’s about the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. To leave this part out of your Easter with your child is to leave out the most important element of Easter.

Kids need to know that Jesus is the real reason we celebrate Easter. Many holidays have become very commercialized and this one is no exception, thus making it so much more important for us to use fun ways to teach our children it’s true meaning.

One way that we are using to teach our kids about the death and resurrection of Jesus is through Resurrection Cookies. Each ingredient and each step symbolizes a portion of the events that led up to the resurrection.

Here I have included the recipe and steps that are involved in the process.

Here is a pdf copy of the recipe for you to print out if you choose.

Ingredients:

• 1 c. whole pecans
  • 1 tsp. vinegar
  • 3 egg whites
  • pinch salt
  • 1 c. sugar
  • zipper baggie
  • wooden spoon
  • tape
  • Bible

Instructions:

Preheat Oven to 300 F. (Note: Do this first, don’t wait until you are half way done with the recipe!) Place pecans in Ziploc bag and let your children beat them with the wooden spoon to break into small pieces.

• Explain that after Jesus was arrested he was beaten by the Roman soldiers.
  • Read John 19:1-3.

Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 tsp. vinegar into mixing bowl.

• Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross he was given vinegar to drink.
  • Read John 19:28-30.

Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life.

• Explain that Jesus gave His life to give us life.
  • Read John 10:10-11.

Sprinkle a little salt into each child’s hand. Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl.

• Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus’ followers, and the bitterness of our own sin.
  • Read Luke 23:27.

So far the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1 c. sugar.

• Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us, He wants us to know that and He wants us to love Him as well.
  • Read Psalms 34:8 and John 3:16.

Beat with a mixer on high speed for 12 to 15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed.

• Explain that the color white represents the purity in God’s eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus.
  • Read Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3

Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto wax paper covered cookie sheet.

• Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus’ body was laid.
  • Read Matthew 27:57-60.

Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven OFF. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door.

• Explain that Jesus’ tomb was sealed.
  • Read Matthew 27:65-66.

IT”S TIME TO GO TO BED!

• Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight. Jesus’ followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed.
  • Read John 16:20 and 22.

On Sunday morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow! On Resurrection morning, Jesus’ followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty.

• Read Matthew 28:1-9.

THE LORD JESUS HAS RISEN!!! HE IS ALIVE!!

This is just one excellent way to teach your children why we celebrate Easter. Other great ways are through books, crafts and activities. I have included a few links below to other Easter ideas that might interest you also.

Books:

Crafts & Activities:

• Resurrection Eggs - You can make these eggs yourself. Each plastic eggs contains an item that symbolizes a part of the Easter story along with the appropriate scriptures.
  • Easter Surprise - On Easter morning, your kids will get a surprise because Jesus has risen from the tomb (shoebox) in which he was buried only a few days earlier.
  • Resurrection Rolls - This project symbolizes the burial and resurrection of Jesus. The only ingredients needed are crescent roll dough, marshmallows, butter, cinnamon and sugar.

It is very important to remember that although Easter is the time of year set aside to specifically celebrate Jesus’ death and resurrection, this truth should be taught and celebrated throughout the year, not just at Easter.

That being said, I hope you and your family have a WONDERFUL and BLESSED Easter!!

By the way, if you have any special Easter projects that you would like me to link to on my Playday Thursday post, you can send the links to me via my contact form at the top of this page and I will be happy to share those.

Related posts:

1. Playday Thursday: Easter Fun Stuff I’m off today, but you are welcome to browse my site. On Thursday’s, I’m giving myself a little break and...
  2. Happy Easter!! If it's Easter Sunday and you're reading this, get off your computer and get in there with your family. :-)...
  3. Easter Baskets, Buckets or Bags: From the Heart Can you believe Easter is almost here already? I hardly got past Valentine's Day, and it was time to start...
Posted on April 7th, 2009 in Kids and Family | 20 Comments
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (3 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

20 Comments

• Denise says:

Thanks dor sharing this. My girls are all older now but I would still like them to experience this.

Denise’s last blog post..New Cell Fire Coupons

• Moos says:

Thank you for this thoughtful and inspired post. I can’t wait to try the cookies!

• kirwin says:

This is very, very cool. My daughter is too young to understand, but I think it’s very age-appropriate for my son. Thanks!

kirwin’s last blog post..30 days of lovin’

• Amanda says:

@ Denise - This is definitely something to experience no matter what your age.

@ Moos - If you have young children, be sure to have everything out and ready before you bring them into the kitchen. I find that things go more smoothly this way.

@ Kirwin - Even though my daughter is not quite two, we tried to let her be a part anyway. She helped break up the nuts.

• Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on the Easter Bunny Cupcakes. I hope your son’s class enjoy them. Love your blog!
    ~Liz

Liz@Hoosier Homemade’s last blog post..Easter Bunny Cupcakes

• Elissa says:

Oh…I love this! What a wonderful idea to help children focus on the true meaning of Easter. I will be doing this with my kids tomorrow night. Even though they are older, I think they will enjoy it! Thank you so much for sharing this!
    Elissa´s last blog ..Kitchen Island Makeover My ComLuv Profile

• Laura says:

Thank you for the PDF file! I looked on many websites for one, glad to find it here!

• anna says:

Thank you for such a clear and thorough explanation on how to make these! Such a great idea. I am linking this up to my new post celebrating ways to share the Easter story with kids. Thank you!

• Morgan says:

I’ve seen this recipe before, but I don’t remember seeing scripture references for each step. Thank you!

• Kelly says:

This is great! not to sound stupid, but do you actually bake the cookies for the whole night?

• Amanda says:

You preheat the oven while you are making the cookies. Then as soon as you place the cookie sheet in the oven, you turn it off. They sit in the oven all night, but the oven is turned off.

• Adrian says:

I love this idea. I would like to start doing this as a family tradition. However, my daughter is 5 and allergic to nuts. Is there an alternative ingredient to use? Would Oreo’s work?

• Amanda says:

Wow, I really wish I knew of a good alternative. Oreo’s seem about as good an option as anything else I can think of to try. It would definitely be worth a shot. I’d love to know how they turn out :)

• angela says:

I have a question re the cookies? How long does it take for them to set? I would love to do this for my Sunday school class tomorrow but I wouldn’t be able to if I have to do it overnight.

• Amanda says:

I have only ever done these overnight, and since the oven is sealed shut, I’ve never checked them before morning. Even if you baked the cookies at 300 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes, as you would for basic meringue cookies, they would still would need to remain in the oven until completely cooled and dried out. I really don’t think you would have enough time to do it all in Sunday school class.

You might consider making resurrection rolls as an alternative. Here is a link for making them: http://womenlivingwell.org/2012/03/my-favorite-easter-breakfast-resurrection-rolls/. The rolls don’t take you through the whole story, but they do symbolize Jesus’ burial and the empty tomb.

• mrsblocko says:

I made these cookies for Easter and wrote about it here. I’d not had any sort of luck with the Resurrection rolls (My marshmallows puffed up instead of melting like they were supposed to.) I was super excited that this actually turned out. I’d never made meringues before.

I loved how there was scripture readings for each step of the recipe. I plan on making these next year.

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

• Kalie says:

I love this! I wish i had an oven in my Sunday school class to do this with my kids!

• Alana says:

Thank you for your posts. I love these ideas! My kids are growing up and I want to incorporate this into our family christian traditions.

• Erin says:

Thank you! I just finished this with my 8 and 6yr old. Even though it’s geared toward the kids, I got a lot out of it. What a beautiful reminder. Opening up the scriptures and reading them as went along brought some true clarity and joy. Thank you again.

Trackbacks / Pingbacks