Has this ever happened to you? You buy fresh produce for the recipes you’ve chosen to cook. Then, after cooking those meals, you’re left with a little of this and a little of that, but not enough extra veggies for each to be a side dish on its own.
Well, that was the story at my house this week. I had some veggies that were about to go to waste if they were not used quickly.
So, what is a girl to do with a small amount of broccoli, two carrots and potatoes that need to be cooked soon?
Throw it all together with some chicken, cheese and a few other ingredients, and call it dinner.
Cheesy Chicken & Vegetable Bake
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 - 3 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup cream of chicken soup (I used this homemade version)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients, except cheese, in a large bowl.
- Pour mixture into a greased 2 qt casserole dish.
- Spread cheddar cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake covered with foil for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 4 - 6 servings
Not only is this dish delicious, but it is very filling. Even my husband was surprised at how full he was after only eating one serving.
The leftovers are yummy too!
What do you do with extra veggies in the fridge?
KEEP UP WITH MOMMYSIDEABOOK...
You should subscribe to my RSS feed to read updates in your favorite rss reader.
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup Question of the Day: What do you do when you find a big bag of potatoes on sale? Answer: You...
- Chicken Fajitas After realizing at the last minute I didn't have any fajita seasoning, I came up with this recipe. This turned...
- Campfire Chicken A little over a year ago, my wonderful neighbor brought my husband and I a delicious roasted chicken with vegetables....
Interested in advertising on Mommys Idea Book?
Join with other subscribers to receive Mommy's Idea Book updates. Subscribe either by RSS or get updates via email by using the form below.
FOOD AND ENTERTAINING
HOME AND ORGANIZATION